An Introduction To Italian Neorealism
WWII debilitated film production all across Europe. In England, 25% of cinemas had been destroyed. Germany had lost 60% of its film-making production capabilities. While the French had maintained a decent output of films throughout the war, even under occupation, the film industry was eventually destroyed after Allied bombing and street-fighting in its Capital towards the very end. Due to their early surrender and unique liberation, Italy found itself with one of the most intact film industries in Western Europe.
The Golden Aged Of Cinema: Film Viewing With Seniors
Traditionally only making the trip to theatres to see one film a year, the grey pound has seen a sharp increase over recent years as pensioners now make a regular turnout to the movies. American figures concerning audience attendance of the over 50s show a 70% increase over the last 20 years.
They are a market Hollywood are now willing to nurture, as their preferred younger targets become increasingly less reliable as a source of income.
Books In Brief: A portrait Of Leni Riefenstahl
Hatred towards Leni Riefenstahl for Triumph of the Will seems to be more about her than her film. How dare this woman try to be a powerful figure in the film industry, a business that even almost a century later is still gender unequal? Could it be that had she not made the film so well then her association with Nazism would have simply been a career footnote?
LOVE FLAME FANTASY DOESN'T WARM HEARTS
Remember that time when New Tricks’ OCD alcoholic Brian Lane, Harry Potter's Hagrid, Mark Fowler and the most forgettable of the DiMarco family members from EastEnders, the tramp-like old man from Emmerdale, the tall bald bloke from the Carry On films, Alan Partridge and list-maker Oskar Schindler ventured on a lads weekend to save a princess from a surreal invading alien force headed by a monstrous beast who inhabits a 1920s German expressionist castle?
We kid ye not, this film exists.
TRULY ORSON FILM
Set in 1937 New York, bright-eyed aspiring teenage actor Richard Samuels (Zac Efron) becomes a protégé to abusive mentor and stage director Orson Welles (Christian McKay) during the Mercury theatre production of what would become a world famous anti-fascist interpretation of Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar. Their relationship is further complicated when Samuels becomes romantically involved with production assistant Sonja Jones (Claire Danes), a career-ambitious woman who is also sexually involved with the show's director...
The durability of the 1990s Brazilian new democracy was tested by financial meltdown and political corruption, and as a consequence of inhibitive laws, national film production all but ceased completely. However as the nation started to recover, its cinema experienced something of a renaissance, giving rise to beautiful, slick-looking films that both embraced and challenged Brazil’s unique, though often turbulent culture. Central Station, which arrived in 1998, would prove to be a standout film of its time.
5. Which of the film's stars devised an ending that was rejected?
4. How many more Star Trek soundtracks would composer Jerry Goldsmith score?
3. What was Star Trek: Phase II?
2. Which Star Trek actor invented the Klingon language?
1. Why did famous actor and director Orson Welles have difficulty recording dialogue for the film?
5. What are director Sarah Gavron's previous film projects?
4. Suffragette was the first film since the 1950s to film at which historic British location?
3. Which descendant of Emmeline Pankhurst made an appearance in the film?
2. What did Feminist action group Sisters Uncut do at the film's premiere?
1. Which cast member is related to Prime Minister Asquith, who opposed the right of women to vote?
5. Which British TV personality makes an uncredited appearance as Lord Boothby?
4. What cheeky trick did the film's marketing department employ for the promotional poster?
3. What aspect of Reggie and Frances' relationship in the movie have friends of the couple disputed?
2. What strange experience did writer / director Brian Helgeland have with one of the Krays former associates?
1. Which Welsh pop star makes a cameo in the film as Timi Yuro?